Thursday, September 27, 2012

Microsoft Word & Accessibility

I have used Microsoft Word my entire life and there are still so many things I don't know about the program. I believe I've even had a formal training class or two and despite that, I still learned something new with this exercise. During the Microsoft Word Accessibility project, I used Microsoft Word to create a software instruction manual on how to download the free genealogy software called Personal Ancestral File created by FamilySearch.org.

During this project, I encountered a few obstacles. In the past, I have used the themes in Microsoft Word but I do not use them very often so I had to figure out how to best incorporate the themes into my project to make it accessible. I used the FamilySearch logo as a color reference and was pleased with the color theme I chose. I also forgot to use Alt text on all the screen captures so I had to go back and enter those. I'm still trying to learn what is the best way to enter text in the Alt text option.

I was pleased with the way the overall project turned out. I was successful in using Snagit to get my screen captures and I liked how the screen captures integrated into the project as a whole.

 This project helped me learn more about how to make Word documents more accessible. Creating accessible documents is important so all people can have access to instruction regardless of their abilities. In the future when creating documents, I plan on utilizing tools like Alt text and Word themes.

No comments:

Post a Comment